Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Experience Required

Yesterday was a big day for NibsnInk, who had a job interview at her dream company!  After sending lots of good vibes and mental sparkles her way, I got to thinking about my own interview mind set again.  


As you all know, my current place of employment is somewhere between the sixth circle of hell and a Justin Beiber concert on the Beetle Scale of Torture.  (Meaning I'm always job hunting.)  Like every other 20-something who graduated with a liberal arts degree, I have no idea what I'm doing with my life and want to work in non-profits.  Since my cover letters would put people on speed to sleep, if I even get an interview, I do my happy dance.  (You should see it, it's great.  A cross between the Liz Lemon dance and the ballin' little kid in this Aloe Blacc video.)   


Once I actually get the interview, I freak the crap out and go into zombie-mode.  It's like everything in my head filters into the Recycle Bin and I can't even answer the most basic questions.  It goes a little something like this:


Interviewer:  What would you say is your greatest accomplishment? 
Me: Uhh.. mm.. guh... Turtles.  No wait!  I can play the piano.  You're pretty.  I like shiny things. 


(courtesy of  entrepremom.com)
On my last interview, I even took some Valerian for the anxiety, and I still didn't get it.  


Note to self:  Drugging doesn't quell the crazy within me.  (Note to all:  This isn't actually a drug.  They give it to kids to help them sleep.  That's right.  I go balls to the wall, pre-school style.)


Obviously this is a work in progress.  I've been trying to prep questions in advance, practice responses, everything. 


What are your interview practices?  Do you get nervous?  Leave us your comments and tips below!     
-Beetle, xx

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you can prep your answers ahead of time? Many interviewers usually ask the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth, LDT.

    I always try to prep answers, but once I have to improvise, my brain shuts off a la One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest post-lobotomy. Like I said, I'm definitely working on it.

    Thanks for the great tip!
    -Beetle, xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I interview people I couldn't care less about experience. Unfortunately, I'm not the guy who screens the resumes and gets your foot in the door. What I'm looking for isn't someone who's confident or an absolute professional in their field. I just like to know you can think for yourself and at least attempt to solve problems in difficult situations.

    It's OK to be nervous. We've all been there (and will be there again!).

    If you're nervous you just need to focus, take your time, and answer the questions they ask. Don't come up with BS answers. If they ask you what fruit you would be and you say you're a pineapple because pineapples kick ass, then that's your answer.

    Keep in mind you'll probably be working with the people who interview you. They don't want to be stuck with the boring professional all day long. They'd rather have someone who's a bit fun, can solve some problems on their own, but knows when to call in the reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete