Monday, February 6, 2012

Music Mondays: Ben l'Oncle Soul

A man in a bow tie makes me weak in the knees.  That being said, if Ben l'Oncle Soul picked me up in a dirty pick-up truck a la "Elle Me Dit" for our wedding, I would probably marry him.  And by probably, I mean definitely.  (That video actually reminds me way too much of Paolo Nutini's "Candy," but I digress.) 


Ben l'Oncle Soul is an amazing soul/motown singer from France who has the most kick ass back up singers/dancers/superheroes ever.  I first heard about them when one of my friends sent me his video for "Petite Seour" and as someone who went through an extreme '50s phase in high school, I was sold. 




Seriously, guys.  Look at that bow tie and tell me you don't love him.  He does such an incredible job of bringing that '50s sound to today's generation without making it boring.  


In addition to his own original music, he also does covers of modern songs that sound nothing like the original songs.  And I have to say, for the most part, I like his versions better.  At the top of my list are the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" and Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Other side."  (I honestly hate the original versions of both of those songs but can't stop listening to Ben's.) 




The highlight of my 2011 summer was him performing at Central Park's Summer Stage for free.  (One of the many reasons I love living in New York..) He performed "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" better than anyone I've ever heard.  There's no good video from that day, but here's a clip of him killing it in France.     


Listen & let us know what you think!


-Beetle, xx. 

1 comment:

  1. Other Side is my second favorite Chili Peppers song. You take that back.

    ReplyDelete